ENNIOMORRICONE.IT

ENNIO MORRICONE INTERNATIONAL FORUM
Oggi è mer lug 30, 2014 2:56 am

Tutti gli orari sono UTC

Apri un nuovo argomento Rispondi all’argomento  [ 111 messaggi ]  Vai alla pagina Precedente  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Prossimo
Autore Messaggio
 Oggetto del messaggio: Re: L'OFFERTA MIGLIORE: a new soundtrack by Morricone
MessaggioInviato: mer gen 23, 2013 8:31 pm 
Non connesso

I've now listened to the whole score several times and must say this is definitely one of the most serious and polished efforts of the Maestro ever. At times, for instance in pieces like Ritratti d'autore or Senza voce, the austerity carried out by EM is worthy of JS Bach, no kidding! In my opinion, the highlights of this soundtrack include Volti e fantasmi (especially the final version that is thrilling and reminding a bit of the obsessive mood of LA SINDROME DI STENDHAL, certainly a logical connection since this movie is set in the middle of the arts), Alla villa, Un cancello, Le vuote stanze (the solo violin is mesmerizing, over very consistent strings), Un violino and Ritratti d'autore. But I must warn those who don't have it yet: be prepared to the rather severe aspect of this score! However the music isn't difficult per se and remains pleasant throughout although I must admit there are maybe too many tracks for strings for my liking. I guess Morricone really got his kicks when writing such music!

Laurent :)

Profilo  

MessaggioInviato: gio gen 24, 2013 1:09 pm 
Non connesso

Hello Laurent and the others,
Yes, you are right, a good part of us will be disappointed by the darkness of the score.
I tried to sum up the different instruments used : nearly only strings, apart from the glass harmonica !
Laurent, this last instrument has been really used by EM for the very first time ? I believed that it was present in Una pura formalità (but I should listen to it again) ...

If you didn't enjoy La sconosciuta no chance to be taken by this last Tornatore opus. Furthermore, even if the darkness and the strings are the common point of the both two ones, according to me La sconosciuta offered a larger variety of orchestration, climates and melodic themes.

Taking away the too dark (for me) climate tracks, I noticed and keep mainly 5 tracks :
La migliore offerta (1) for its orchestral very well done rendition, more interesting for me than Deborah's theme, Volti e fantasmi for its novelty and refinement, Perduta and Un cancello in which I see it happens something interesting, not only a suspense or incidental music, and finally the best : Rittrato d'autore for its ancient writing but renewed.

I could say I am disappointed but not entirely : a soundtrack offering 5 excellent tracks, I will have pleasure to listen to again, is welcome. But I understand very well it will be not the taste of numbers if us.

Patrick

Profilo  

MessaggioInviato: gio gen 24, 2013 2:44 pm 
Non connesso

Laurent and Patrick, I'm not totally sure but I do believe the ethereal sounding instrument in LOLITA is a Glass Harmonica.
The instrument used in scores such as A PURE FORMALITY, BUGSY etc, sounds like a Waterphone to my ears.

Profilo  

MessaggioInviato: gio gen 24, 2013 2:54 pm 
Non connesso

Yes Patrick, I agree that LA SCONOSCIUTA offers a wider range of styles. For LA MIGLIORE OFFERTA, EM clearly decided to focus on strings, maybe to confer the score that genuine austerity I already hinted at. This is something many composers achieved by writing string quartets or quintets or say pieces for string ensembles, I mean the fact to relay on one single family of instruments. A pity the glass harmonica isn't featured more prominently. As for the eerie sound present in UNA PURA FORMALITA, I'd rather hold it as a waterphone because Ennio was crazy about it in the 90's (cf BUGSY, etc). If I'm not mistaken, he experienced the waterphone during a stay in the USA, was appealed by its sound and then accordingly used it in some of his scores.

About the strings, something I'm very fond of is the use of overtones, like in Il vuoto dentro or the opening bars of the 2d version of Volti e fantasmi. Since LA SCONOSCIUTA, Morricone has increasingly used this classy register. He for instance repeated it to mesmerizing effect in one of the Massimo Ranieri theater plays as well. The glass harmonica itself produces many overtones, so I'd assume this is a logical choice for the string section as well. I find it to be pure magic.

A somewhat slightly frustrating point regards for me the track Alta villa though. The glass harmonica tune is indeed superb and John Mansell is right when stating that "an exquisite cello solo closes the piece". But why oh why is this cello segment so short?! Whenever I'm playing this track, I'm expecting it to develop and it just stops so abruptly! I regret that the Maestro didn't expand it for the "album" purpose.

Did you notice the subtle MARCO POLO-like string strokes at ca 2'50 in the first version of Volti e fantasmi? This is a superb effect he already resorted to in LUCIA.

Laurent :)

P.S.: sorry Micke for the repetition about the waterphone. We've been replying Patrick's question concomitently.

Profilo  

MessaggioInviato: sab gen 26, 2013 7:52 pm 
Non connesso

Just two words.
I see with pleasure that this section is the one which has interested more than all the others since the forum exists. More than 100 answers demonstrates this. There would be a lot of things to say about, but, unfortunately, I have no time now, but as soon as I'll be able, I'll do it.
ATK

Profilo  

MessaggioInviato: mer giu 19, 2013 5:50 pm 
Non connesso

Tornatore, after having won the "David di Donatello", 6 awards on 13, as best film, best film director, best soundtrack...spoke shortly about this prize.

He says:" After the CIAK 2013 and the Ischia Film Festival Awards, this is the third prize that L'OFFERTA MIGLIORE wins in less than one month and this is the most important. Probably the film will compete next year for an Oscar.
This award inspires me to do always my best to give to the public good movies...I hope that the desire to make films never fails.
I'm already working on my next film". "LENINGRAD"? "...LENINGRAD is suspended by a thread...there are 50% of possibilities to make it or not...but yes, LENINGRAD might be my next film...(he smiles).
Also Ennio won the "David" with a wonderful soundtrack...I like all the tracks, mainly the one which gives the title to the film: "L'offerta migliore".

In fact, Morricone says that Peppuccio has several problems in making LENINGRAD.

Altnikol

P.S I suggest to get the official cd besides the one downloaded from the computer. The quality of the sound is better. The official cd is for sale in Italy since last February...I think that now it can be found everywhere out of Italy.

Profilo  

MessaggioInviato: lun lug 08, 2013 1:53 pm 
Non connesso

Morricone won the Nastri d´Argento (Silver Ribbon) for best Music (La Migliore Offerta). :)

Mathias

Profilo  

MessaggioInviato: lun lug 08, 2013 2:38 pm 
Non connesso

...yes...and Tornatore 6 awards on 9 with LA MIGLIORE OFFERTA after having recently won 6 David di Donatello. Bingo!! It seems that he likes very much the number 6...

ATK

Profilo  

MessaggioInviato: sab set 07, 2013 6:01 pm 
Non connesso

Hi!

There is a question about the sound quality at the film score monthly board. A member (he seems to be a big Morricone fan) isn´t satisfied with the sound on the cd. He thinks that the bass strings are too heavy and is convinced that the cd is mastered from a mp3 source. I can agree that the bass strings are rather loud in parts, for instance in the first track but I thought it was meant to be in that way. Any thoughts?

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p ... &archive=0

Mathias

Profilo  

MessaggioInviato: sab set 14, 2013 4:23 pm 
Non connesso

"Any thoughts?"

- that YOR guy is funny.

Profilo  

Apri un nuovo argomento Rispondi all’argomento  [ 111 messaggi ]  Vai alla pagina Precedente  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Prossimo

Tutti gli orari sono UTC